The Firm Sea Pearls are a perfect natural solution for those suffering from pelvic organ prolapse.. They act as a natural sponge pessary, are softer than silicone pessaries, do not need fitting by a professional and are less invasive and cheaper than surgery.
The firm sponges are larger and rounder than the Soft Sea Sponges and offer extra support to prolapsed organs such as the uterus, bladder or intestines. Whilst they will not cure prolapse, they offer relief from prolapse symptoms as they support the internal organs.
This sponge can also be used as a reusable completely natural alternative to disposable tampons to absorb menstrual flow. Sea Pearls have been used by women all over the world for over 40 years.
Jade and Pearl Sea Pearls Sponges are free of chemicals, bleach, chlorine, fragrance, dyes or synthetic materials. Each Sea Sponge is washed, inspected, trimmed, and packaged by Jade & Pearls expert sponge squad to ensure it is of high quality.
Though they appear large, Sea Sponges are immersed n water and the excess water is squeezed out prior to insertion which makes them considerably softer and smaller. They can also be custom trimmed depending on the type of prolapse.
- 2 Extra Large Plus Sea Pearls measuring approximately 8.5 cm - 11.5 cm
Sea Pearls grow naturally, so they vary in shape, size, colour, and texture. The sponges you receive may not look as pictured on this page and may look different from your previous orders.
Firm sponges are only available in Extra Large but can be trimmed. Alternately, you may like to try the Jade & Pearl Ulta Soft Sea Sponges if you are looking for a smaller menstrual sponge.
- Wet the sponge and squeeze out excess water
- Gently insert the sea sponge into the vagina
- Remove after 3-4 hours or as often as required for a heavier flow if used for menstruation or twice a day if used for prolapse.
- Rinse and repeat.
If Sea Sponges are used daily for prolapse they can be expected to last for 1-3 months.
Sponges can be delicate so great care should be taken when cleaning and using them. If cared for properly, sponges can last up to 3-6 months if used for 1 week each month or 1-3 months if used daily for prolapse.
- Use a natural chemical-free soap or soak for 5-10 minutes in a cup of warm water with one of the following:
- 2-3 drops tea tree oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp baking soda (helps restore volume and density)
- 1 tsp hydrogen peroxide (helps eliminate discolouration)
- Rinse the sponge and squeeze out excess water
- Boil your sponges as this will shrink and toughen them
- Use harsh soaps or chemicals to clean them
- Soak your sponges longer than the recommended time as it may cause the sponge to deteriorate.
How often should sponges be cleaned?
Sea Sponges can be rinsed and reused multiple times. Jade & Pearl recommend you clean your sponge;
- Prior to use for the first time
- Once-daily or every other day
- If the sponge develops an unpleasant odour
- Prior to storing
Ensure the sponge is completely dry before storing.
How to trim a sponge
Sponges are easiest to trim when dry but can also be carefully trimmed when wet and should be trimmed around the edges to reach the desired shape. It is not recommended to cut sea sponges in half.
With scissors, trim around the perimeter of the sponge, a little at a time until you reach the desired size.
If the surface of your sponge starts to become ragged, do not rip or tear the sponge. Instead, trim the loose pieces off with scissors until the surface is smooth. This will extend the lifetime of your sponge.
These sponges are harvested from the Mediterranean Sea where divers cut the sponge by hand and leave the base intact which allows the sponge to regrow. Sponges must be a minimum of 12.5cm when harvested to prevent excessive harvesting and harvesting is strictly prohibited in protected marine sanctuaries and coral reefs.